One thing I’ve learned over the years of trying to keep up with kids and pets in our home is that if you really want to have a “clean enough house” like I do, you need to find ways to be very efficient and make it a habit to clean as you go. It really isn’t any extra work to clean more often, in fact, it’s actually less work to clean as you go than it is to save up all the work until your house is a giant mess. Being prepared to clean by having the right supplies ready to go and then actually cleaning up as you go through the day will make a difference in so many ways!
Because I try to keep up with my daily routines for housekeeping, I love having what I need on hand to keep up on washing dishes and laundry, it just makes me feel prepared and efficient. There’s nothing more frustrating than running out of washing up liquid on a busy week! So first tip, make sure you have everything you need!
Here are some of my clean-as-you-go tips:
- Make it a daily habit to put things away where they belong to save yourself time and stress later. When you see something out of place, pick it up and take it immediately to where it belongs, rather than letting things pile up. Keep a waste basket near a stairway to toss items that go up or down stairs to save a few extra steps.
- When you see a messy countertop or a dirty sink, take a few moments to clean and polish it up right there on the spot. To make cleaning easier, I keep an all-purpose cleaner and cloth or paper towels handy under the sink so I can quickly clean up a mess before it has a chance to grow and multiply. (see my daily cleaning tips!)
- Schedule online deliveries directly to your home for frequently used cleaning items like dish soap and laundry detergent. Or make sure they are on your list when you shop. Always be stocked with what you need to do laundry and dishes so they will never pile up waiting until you can get to the supermarket.
- Empty the dishwasher before you start cooking. With an empty dishwasher, you’ll be able to put your cooking and dinner dishes immediately into the dishwasher after dinner and go to bed with a clean and shiny kitchen.
- Wash dishes after every meal. Yes, at first it will seem as though you are always doing dishes. But the alternative is dirty dishes piling up in the sink and all over the counter all day long. Keep up with the dishes and soon you’ll become accustomed to a clean kitchen and never want to go back to letting dishes pile up again.
- Keep cleaning supplies in every bathroom for quick and easy access. With easy to grab cleaners and towels you can quickly polish up a sink and with toilet wands available you can easily swish out a toilet. If you have to go to another part of the house to grab supplies first, you’ll be more likely to put off cleaning or simply forget to do it.
- Sort a load of laundry in the morning, move it to the dryer and use a timer to remind yourself to remove items and immediately fold, hang and take to the proper location. Keep laundry moving along and you’ll avoid ironing and laundry pile ups.
Hope this helps, give me a call on 633 624 232 to carry out a deep clean or a client change over clean, thanks for reading Jenny x